Tuesday 11 September 2012

Development Projects

My first week has ended and now I am starting to get more involved in the Library's processes. I am split between the User Services and Collections departments, meaning I get a broad overview of the operational aspects of the library. This results in me having two line managers, which is beneficial as I get varied input in to my work and development and gain a wider awareness of the different responsibilities of Librarians, which I am sure help influence my future interests and career choices.
Alongside my weekly activities, such as manning the enquiry desks and library housekeeping, my line managers and I have agreed a range of projects for me to get involved in, which include document delivery, stock checking and cataloguing the rare book collection on Surgical Instruments, answering Athens queries from college members and over-seeing the print journal collection. I have also had the chance to start a project checking and collating the holdings information for the Library's e-journals. After not having used electronic resources a great deal since finishing my undergraduate degree, the task has got me re-acquainted to using Athens and e-journal providers and allowed me to explore and utilise the college's online collections.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment