Friday 16 November 2012

Applying to library school- issues surrounding LIS vocational masters

Last Friday, I attended an event organised by the M25 Academic Libraries Consortium on 'Applying to Library School'. I was particularly interested in attending this event as it involved presentations from past and current students studying the MA and a selection of representatives from different library schools.

There were several speakers throughout the day, the majority being recent graduates of library school themselves. The speakers made some really interesting points about the pros and cons of different modes of study, allowing attendees a balanced view of what it is like to study whilst juggling part-time or full time work. The speakers included Sarah Maule (Ravensbourne), Sarah Ison (University of Brighton), Helen Murphy (Trinity Hall) and Sophie Pattison (UCL).
Vanda Broughton, Programme Leader for MA Library and Information Studies at UCL also gave a talk, which went in to detail about the types of skills that a library qualification provides and the different jobs and sectors a selection of UCL graduates had progressed to recently. Vanda suggested that prospective students should ensure that they are making sure the institution they apply to is right for them, by looking at staff and student blogs, researching courses and asking relevant questions at interview.

The course fair, which was held at lunch time, allowed me to have some interesting conversations with the course representatives from the different institutions. One thing I really wanted to clarify was the statement that I had heard from time to time in regards to funding, that being only students with a 1:1 at first degree level will be considered for AHRC funding, or in some instances funding in general. I've heard mixed opinions around this 'statement' but understand that universities holding AHRC block grant partnership awards have a great deal of pressure put on them to put forward 1:1 students for funding, even though the AHRC guidelines state that students with a good second class degree will be considered. I heard mixed opinions again from talking to the course representatives, but I did get the impression that course leaders are looking for well rounded individuals who are taking steps to develop themselves professionally outside as well as inside academia. This provides hope for the profession's development in encouraging new professionals with a host of  professional skills and experiences, from a wide range of backgrounds.
 I would be really interested to hear from anyone who had a different route in to librarianship, or managed to secure funding or financial support during their qualification without that 'elusive 1:1'.

 Funding a postgraduate qualification that is almost essential to career development seemed to be a hot topic at the event. Vanda Broughton explained that 2013/14 will be the final year for the AHRC's 'Professional Preparation Masters' funding, which LIS qualifications have fallen under for several years. Upon further research of the AHRC website and looking at their proposed plans for funding, it is made clear that UK research councils are pulling away from vocational MA/MSc's and looking to fund only at masters level where courses lead subsequently to PhD level study. You can find out more about the AHRC's plan's here.

I would  recommend the event to prospective students as it's a brilliant opportunity to learn a bit more about the application progress, especially in regards to what library schools expect from potential students. It also provides a chance for trainees and library assistant's to meet some new faces and share thoughts and ideas about their course choices. I found the panel discussion consisting of three very different LIS students really engaging, especially as they were all in very different services and holding down differing levels of  professional work and volunteering whilst studying.

Take a look at the hash tag for this event #applis12 to see other people's thoughts.

7 comments:

  1. I was AHRC funded (at Sheffield) and didn't have that elusive 1.1 for my undergraduate degree. How? Perhaps it helped that I was keen to study librarianship because I love academic as well as wanting a library career rather than wanting to study purely because it is something we have to do to get a job. I discussed my academic research interets in my application and included details of potential dissertation ideas. Of course I also made sure I to be very involved in things beyond my job as a graduate trainee (all the usual stuff like CILIP, shadowing, visits etc) to show my commitment to the profession in my application.

    I'm glad I had funding because it meant I could spend all my time in the library reading journals and books, I love academia though! However having funding meant I missed out on working for a year, limiting my practical hands on experience compared to others. At times I was a little bit jealous of those that I was a trainee with, who opted for part time study or distance learning alongside working as they probably have better looking CVs than I do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for commenting, it's really interesting to hear from some one with a real interest in academics and the profession who was successful with a 2:1. I think it is really important to make the most of your trainee year and get involved in the wider profession and I'm glad you feel this helped you also, it's something I'm trying to make sure I do this year. Although I would love to be funded and studying full time as I really miss learning on a full-time basis, I think I would really miss the practical nature of work and being able to apply my learning. For these reasons I'm really having think hard about the logistics of a full-time degree alongside as much part-time work as possible. I don't know how distance learners do it! I imagine it's such a tough commitment juggling work and study!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I did my degree via distance learning, which is a big part of why I want to be able to study full-time with no distractions for my Masters. Like Laura (Theatregrad), I love academia and I genuinely want to do a PhD.

      Delete
  3. That's great you are planning a PhD Penny, I completely appreciate prospective Phd candidates and those studying really need help funding their courses as they are undertaking such financial and professional commitment by continuing their studies and further developing their field. I'm sure studying full time will be really beneficial to achieving that goal.I will be applying to an institution for funding for a professional preparation masters because I really enjoy my job and feel I have a great deal to learn not only academically, but in a professional and managerial capacity. Although the 'professional preparation masters'funding will be coming to an end in order to prioritise PhD study, there will be a great deal of people struggling to get a start in the profession without the help of funding. I do worry however, that there will be a gap between those being able to undertake a LIS career professionally and those who choose to go the academic route. At present we are being informed that to be considered for the professional preparation masters funding (which would lead directly to a vocational career) is being only offered to students of 1:1 level. That's why it's so good to hear from past trainee's like Laura, who have been successful at getting funding and has worked hard to get the most out of their degree and work experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think they'll bring in a research LIS Masters, and the funding councils won't distinguish between those who want to go on to further study and those who won't from the professional preparation students and just give us funding anyway, so the funding situation after this year will continue to be identical for people who want to go down either the professional or academic route, and those like me who want to do both. Research practitioners exist! But there will be no funding for any of these students.

      There has always been a gap, as there were never that many funded places, and so most Masters students generally and most library school students specifically have always self-funded (though of course the costs have risen dramatically). It's already the case that the vast majority of library school students I meet who are not studying via distance learning are young people from comfortable middle class backgrounds and they can move back in with their parents or into a cheap house share after finishing if they don't immediately secure a job, making paying back a loan more possible.

      For those of us who are older, from a low-income background, have partners and mortgages to consider, and disabilities that make securing employment very hard (15% of people with autism are employed full-time, 15%), self-funding looks impossible rather than merely more difficult.

      Delete
  4. I did my MA at UCL part-time (2002 - 2005). I originally applied for full-time and didn't get AHRC funding (I have a 2:1 from my first degree) but I did find sponsorship from an alternative source, which provided me with funding for a part-time MA, as well as a 3 day a week job (which helped a lot with course assignments) and subsidised accommodation. So it's definitely worth looking around for alternative means of funding your course. Mine worked out brilliantly as I gained some really valuable experience at the same time as doing my MA.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's really good to hear Katie, I think I will provisionally aim for full-time, but as I really want to continue working, part-time would really be preferable. I'm glad to hear you found working helped with you assignments, I get that feeling from the conversations I've had with past and current students so that's really positive! I think alternative means of funding etc. are the way to go. I'm hoping to go to either UCL or City, how did you find the course? any particular modules stand out to you?

    ReplyDelete